For several weeks in a row, discussions about the new Clubhouse social network have not subsided. In just a few weeks, the application became the most downloaded among free applications. In this article, we will help you understand the main specifics of the audio social network and learn how it differs from others.
What is Clubhouse
Clubhouse is a new social network where users can communicate and exchange information using only voices in self-created interest rooms on various topics. Anyone can become a member of a room if it is public. You can create private rooms just for your friends or colleagues as well. The main feature of the application: here you can communicate only by voice and it happens in real-time.
Interestingly, the application was created in the spring of 2020, but gained popularity in Ukraine only in February 2021. Experts link this to a list of registered global celebrities such as Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, Kanye West and Jared Leto. And taking into account the main specifics of the social network, it means that almost everyone can directly communicate with the stars.
Why Clubhouse is so popular
Below, we share the reasons that probably affect the rapid growth of social network’s popularity:
- The illusion of a direct conversation with the stars and closeness to them.
- The possibility of using the application only after receiving an invitation, which makes people very eager to become chosen.
- There is only one main function — voice chat.
- Another opportunity to earn money on the Internet. Yes, there are already many options for earning in Clubhouse, we will tell you more about this later.
How to use Clubhouse
To sign up for Clubhouse for free, download the app. For now, it is only available for iPhone owners. After downloading, register in the application by specifying your phone number.
After that, whoever you are in contact with and who is already registered on this social network will receive a notification that you want to receive an invite. If someone from your contact list issues it to you, then you can continue with the registration. The invitation comes in the form of an SMS message to the phone.
If no one has issued you an invitation, then you can use another option — ask someone who is already in the Clubhouse for a personal invitation. During the pursuit of invitations, people started creating channels and groups dedicated to sharing invitations. And the most absurd thing is that there are advertisements for the sale of invites on various websites, such as OLX.
While registering, the application will offer a sufficient number of interests, from which you will need to choose the ones that interest you the most. Room recommendations are generated based on this.
How to search for a «room» in Clubhouse
All communication in Clubhouse takes place in real-time and only in audio format, on the platform, there is no ability to communicate in writing. Users communicate in so-called rooms — audio chats, which can be public or closed. There are moderators, speakers and listeners in the room. The latter cannot participate in the discussion until they use the «raise their hand» function and are approved by the moderator — and then they will become speakers.
Most of the rooms open to the public in Clubhouse are dedicated to a specific theme, which is indicated in its name. Users can find discussions by the topic of interest to them, as well as see in which rooms the people, they are subscribed to, are located.
In Clubhouse there are conversations about entrepreneurship, social networks, culture and politics, but there are also silent rooms where people come in search of interesting acquaintances. There are also entertainment rooms, for example, where users ask each other tricky questions, like in the game Truth or Dare, but without the action, and simply tell funny stories from life to strangers. Currently, bloggers, journalists, entrepreneurs, cultural figures and many others are registered in the application.
Below are examples of the most popular rooms you can find through the search:
- «Who are you and why you are needed» is one of the most popular rooms of the Russian-speaking Clubhouse, which started as a joke, but quickly turned into a platform for interviews with famous people. This room was created by blogger Anatoly Kapustin, originally it was called «Who is Herman Klymenko and why he is needed» and appeared with the arrival of a former adviser to the president Herman Klymenko to the Clubhouse.
- «What’s new?» is the daily morning show of comedian Oleksandr Dolgopolov. It usually starts at 10-12 noon and lasts for several hours. Dolgopolov calls his friends — other comedians and bloggers — into the room. Together they reflect on the events of the previous day, joke and share stories.
- «Quiet acquaintances for people with an interesting biography» is the most popular room in which everyone is silent. Nothing happens in it anymore — you can «raise your hand» and become a speaker, but the point is still to remain silent. According to the authors’ idea, participants can thus take a break from the «conversational» part of Clubhouse and at the same time subscribe to interesting people by reading the description of their profiles.
- «The Good Time Show» is the same room (and club of the same name) that Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg visited. Hosted by the Clubhouse itself, it’s often attended by the hottest celebrities for interviews. If you want to be the first to hear what Musk or Zuckerberg have to say before it hits the morning news, this is the room for you.
Advantages and disadvantages of audio social network Clubhouse
- A lot of free information that can be used for work purposes and general development;
- The ability to communicate with celebrities and owners of large companies live;
- Ease of use;
- Additional earnings. The Internet is already full of Clubhouse-related jobs;
- Self-promotion, if the room is really interesting;
- You can express your point of view on any topic anywhere and freely exchange information here and now.
- Available for iOS users only;
- Audio data leak. So far, researchers say the platform is unable to ensure data privacy;
- The ability to get into rooms with imposters who do not reveal the topic that is indicated in the name of the room, but simply take up free time.
The point that access to the Clubhouse is only possible by invitation is neither a minus nor a plus. After all, it is an opportunity to filter the number of personal profiles and minimize the possibility of creating several accounts by one person. But for Android owners, it is a minus, because so far they have no way to get to this audio social network.
In the following article, we will tell you how to get an invite to the Clubhouse for free. So seize the moment, register and develop your account on the new platform while the application is at the peak of its popularity.