SEO promotion for a large online store of trade equipment
How to ensure a 144% increase in traffic under the conditions of the site’s relocation of a large online store
a large online store of trade equipment engaged in the creation of a project, manufacturing, and installation of equipment for shops
Term of work:
The tasks we faced were:
- increasing the amount of traffic to the site and attracting buyers;
- ensuring the transfer from the old site to the new one, minimizing the loss of positions;
- increase in conversions on the site;
- working with priority 3 categories and increasing traffic in them;
- growth of positions for high-frequency requests that were agreed upon with the client;
- increasing brand recognition;
- increasing the amount of non-branded traffic.
The problems at the start are:
- moving from the old site to the new one;
- high competitiveness of the niche
What was done
Basic analysis of competitors
To gain a deeper understanding of the topic, study the niche, and build an initial strategy for the development of the project, we analyzed competitors according to the basic criteria for evaluating and comparing the site.
Technical optimization of the site
Technical conditions and availability are the most important criteria for evaluating a site in search engines. It is necessary that the conversion pages of the resource (main, product pages, category pages, with the "Buy" button, etc.) are available for crawling and indexing by search engines. The site must not contain duplicates and irrelevant pages (404 and pages with internal 301 redirects).
Works on technical optimization:
- analysis of pages with response codes 4xx-5xx during the last 6 months for organic traffic;
- setting up 301 redirects for pages where there was still traffic;
- correct setting of the robots.txt file;
- setting Canonicals so that search engines can correctly index the right page;
- hiding from indexing individual pages of the site, for example, sorting (by price, popularity), search;
- setting of breadcrumbs;
- changing the format of all images on the site from PNG to WebP;
- work with the site map (sitemap.xml);
- speed optimization;
- elimination of broken links and links with redirects within the site to preserve and optimize the internal weight of the site and save the crawling budget;
- creation of alt and title templates;
- analysis of the site for the presence of duplicate pages.
Expanding the structure
Adding new product categories and pages to the site.
Building external links
We posted links:
- on forums (anchored and unanchored), necessary for the formation of a more natural link profile;
- outreach links (searched for thematic sites and agreed with them on the placement of links).
Writing texts for categories
When we first started working together, there were no texts on the category pages. We compiled a semantic core for the main pages, and based on the semantics and textual analysis of competitors, we created and submitted technical tasks for the texts written by our copywriters.
In the first month of cooperation, we implemented "manual" meta tags for the most priority categories; in the following months, we worked with formulas for meta tags for product cards. We also added missing keywords for which the client's site was not ranked but competitors were and added emoji to highlight the snippet, which will help increase the site's clickability in search engine results.
Micro-markup is a special markup of data on a page that consists of code with tags and attributes. They highlight specific information that we want to make visible to search engines. For example, price, contacts, and company logo.
Thanks to the work done, we achieved an increase in organic traffic (+144%) and an increase in the rate of conversions received (+45.65%).